Wednesday, October 14, 2015

October Guest Designer

This month we introduced and welcomed Jannet Blay as our wonderful guest designer! 


"I live in London, England. I think I have been crafting for most of my life. I can remember even as a very young girl  cutting up cereal boxes and making all sorts of weird and wonderful things with them!

I have disability and health problems. Arts and crafts keeps me very busy, so it keeps my mind of my problems. Like many fellow crafters I find playing with pretty papers and glorious glitter to be very therapeutic!

I enjoy taking part  in challenges, and I have been lucky enough to be published in Craft Stamper magazine a few times. If you see this Novembers  issue one of my cards will be in there somewhere.

It has been an honour to be a guest designer, and I thank all of the Mixed Media Mojo team for this opportunity. I look forward to taking part in many more challenges.

Thank you and happy crafting."




Janet shared a super cool project on the first of the month and now we have some details and more photos. 

Here are the details:

For the Halloween challenge I decided to create this Witch's Hovel. I included an artificial tea light inside the house to give it a spooky look after dark. 

I cut strips from old book pages, and rolled them over a thin skewer securing with glue before sliding them off. I then used them to build my house. Some folded card made the roof which I  covered  in tiles cut from more book pages. 

For the spooky tree I used a thick wire as the trunk and twisted strips of the book pages around it to form branches.

The witch always washes her best hat and stockings before Halloween, so they are hanging on the washing line. I used some twigs for the posts and thread for the line. 

I tried my hand at drawing a few bats, I cut  them out and attached them to thin  wire to go up behind the house to look as if they were flying around. 

I assembled it all on some thick card and then covered the ground in black flowersoft.

It was fun and quite inexpensive to make. The flowersoft could easily be substituted with real leaves and twigs or crumpled up paper. You can make all sorts of things with old book pages! 

Happy Halloween

Items I used
Old book pages
Twigs from the forest
Thick and thin wire
Pva glue
Twine
Promarkers
Flowersoft
Small clear gems 

More photos of this super fun project:





Thanks so much for stopping by!  Be sure to swing on by Jannet's blog to check out all her amazing work!

2 comments:

  1. what a great project. You have great patience. Thanks for joining us this month.

    Barb Housner (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful, I love it.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete