Wednesday, November 4, 2015

How To Create a Project

Barb here - let's talk about creating projects.  If you are like me you have an overabundance of art stuff that you can use for a project.  Sometimes it is overwhelming and you can't even begin to make a project.

A challenge blog such as Mixed Media Blog is good because it gives you an idea but then where do you begin.  This month I knew our challenge was Fall with the added element of metallic.  Here is how I approached my project.  I just started gathering items and putting them on top of a gold canvas.  I found some interesting items.  I found some things I really liked but there was just a little bit of it.

Here is what I started with.


I did not use some of the things in the picture but I had a starting point.

I knew that I wanted to use my Penny Black sunflower stamp so I stamped them on book paper which had a layer of gesso on it.  I colored them with distress paints.  They were cut out.  The leaves were stamped on painted canvas and cut out.




I then started to layer things on top of the canvas.  The second layer was grocery bag paper which had been wet and wadded up and then the edges were distress some more.  The first layer was a piece of canvas fabric which was torn so you have the added texture of the ripped edges.


After adhering these layers, I started putting the different things I had collected on top of the paper.


I started layering on the sunflowers and all the other layers.  I made a bow out of a torn strip of calico fabric.  I added a strip of the fabric along the bottom of the canvas.  An assortment of floral items were added behind the fabric bow.  I used some gold stems and the few berries on that stem.  That berry stem was a lucky find in my supplies.



Here is a close up of the sunflowers.  Layers of foam tape were added in between the sunflowers to give them some depth.  Buttons were added to the center of the flower.  Can you see the use of the threads pulled off the edge of the torn calico.  This adds more color and texture to your project.



Here is a close up of the bow.  The sunflower silk was tucked under the bow in the front.  The floral stems along with a fabric leaf were tucked behind the bow.  The Give Thanks sentiment is popped out.  I cut a piece of cardboard, folded it in half and glued the sentiment on top of it so it stands out from the canvas.


This was a fun project to do.  I used up a few odd items that have been floating around my craft area.  I limited myself to a specific group of items so I had to focus on my creation rather than being distracted by all the stuff I have.



3 comments: