Monday, May 23, 2016

Discovering May Flowers Art Journal Page

Hello, Deb here today to share an art journal page with you that I made with our May challenge theme in mind, which is Flowers with the added twist of Stitching, either real or faux.

I added lots of flowers to my art journal page in the form of die cuts, stamping, stencils and some free hand drawing and added both real and faux stitching.


I started out with a sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" white cardstock and smooshed it through a couple of shades of yellow Distress stains and then dropped the darker shade of yellow randomly over the page with a pipette

I then sprayed orange Distress stain spray through a couple of floral stencils (and then made some stencil monoprints by turning the stencil over and patting it onto a couple of more sheets of cardstock which I'll use on a future project, waste not want not!)

Next I replaced the clean and dry stencils overtop of the sprayed images and outlined them in black with a paint pen.  I also outlined the drops of darker Distress stain to make some free form flowers with both white and black paint pens and added a few dots in the centers of each for stamens.

Background stamping came next with a variety of stamps and archival ink, I did second and third generations of stamping so it wouldn't be too prominent.

I then cut the sheet of cardstock in half and trimmed it to size to fit in my journal and sewed a line of stitching around the edges of both half sheets on my sewing machine.

I glued the sewn pages into my art journal and spattered them with orange, black and white acrylic paints thinned with water.

I stamped the cone flower (from Tim Holtz's Flower Garden stamp set) three times and stamped the stem once and water coloured them with various shades of Distress inks.  All of the flower heads and the stem were then fussy cut.

To bring in another stitching element, I die cut one of the Stitched Ovals and a couple of borders from Core-dinations black cardstock and gently sanded them to highlight the stitched detail.

More flowers were die cut from black cardstock with the Wildflowers die

and a tag was die cut from black cardstock and stamped with the 'discovering' quote from Tim Holtz's Perspective stamp set.  The sentiment was embossed with white embossing powder and a faux stitching detail was added around the edges of the tag with a white paint pen.

And then all the elements were added to the prepared journal pages, here are a few close up pics of the finished pages.

The cone flower was layered with pop dots between each of the layers, love the dimension!

Having said that though, I'm going to have to cut my art journal apart and rebind it because it's already so fat I can't close it!

Thanks so much for stopping by Mixed Media Mojo today and I hope that I've inspired you to join in our May Flowers plus Stitching challenge.  Have fun with it, I can't wait to see what you create.

Deb xo


  1. I am smiling now at the 'fatness' of your art journal - but it would be such a shame to flatten this gorgeous page - the cone flower is beautiful and I love how you outlined the stenciling - it looks really effective! xx

  2. Wow, wow and wow again, a truly stunning creation, what you did with that cone flower is genius!!!

  3. Every step is beautifully detailed and the final outcome is magnificent, love it xxx

  4. Gorgeous floral page Deb! Love it!

  5. I LOVE your cone-flower! I have to try that!