Steampunk Clock with Basic Instructions
Hello all! So this is my first official post as one of the newest members of the Mixed Media Mojo Design team and I couldn't be more excited to be a part of this team! I have been crafting for about 5 years now and I have really enjoyed my creative journey. I now have creative friends all over the world and a hobby that I absolutely LOVE! I do a bit of everything from traditional scrapbook layouts to altered art items - and everything in between!! But I think mixed media is really my biggest love and I am looking forward to sharing my creations with you all and showing you how I make them as well.
For my project I stuck as best I could to the January theme of new with the twist clocks. I had an idea in mind for a while on doing a Steampunk style clock and had a bunch of great materials to use and this theme was the perfect opportunity to do so. Here is a look at the finished project and I will go through how I made it below the picture.
I started off with a round wooden frame that I got in one of the many mixed media kit clubs I belong to, along with some clock chipboard pieces and some Finnabair multi media canvas with a music theme already printed on the canvas.
The first step was to attach the canvas pieces in random spots around the frame using 3D Gel medium. I also attached a lot of the string that came off when I was tearing the canvas into strips - it gave the piece even more texture. I was also working on another project at the same time and as opposed to wasting the extra paste on the stencil I was using for that project I added more dimension in a few places to this project with that same stencil.
Once this was all dry, the next step was to paint and spray the entire piece. I used Dina Wakely metallic paint as the first layer and then sprayed on top of that with Tim Holtz Distress sprays and Mica Sprays. I used shades of teal and blue, as well as more metallic colours to give it the steampunk feel I wanted. I also added more colour to highlight certain areas using Ink Gold. I also added more dimension using texture paste in a few areas - mostly to highlight the numbers I wanted on the clock.
The next stage was to alter the chipboard clock pieces. To do this I used Finnabair's fantastic Rust Paste. I love it for giving items that aged/antique feel.
The final stage was to add the clock pieces and all the other ephemera that I wanted on the clock. I have always had people asking me how I do this part and unfortunately, there is really no rhyme nor reason for how I place things where I do. In some cases I was trying to cover up the pop dots I was using, but mostly I just place everything down in different spots until I have the look that I want and then I glue it all down. Here are some close ups of the finished clock.
I hope you all like the project and that my instructions were easy to follow. I really enjoyed making this project and I am looking forward to sharing more with you throughout this whole year. Have a very crafty day everyone!