Sunday, February 12, 2017

Back to Basics

So for my second post for the DT of Mixed Media Mojo- I wanted to do a tag and go back to basics with techniques. Now I am a lover of all things Tim Holtz and have taken his classes in person and online!  His techniques are tried and true and I find myself going back to them for projects.  Since it is February and the theme is love with wings as the twist, I made a Valentine Tag!  So let's get to it!
First I took a #12 Tag and used the Valentine Embossing Folder from Tim Holtz and embossed the tag. Then I ran a brayer with Distress Antique Linen paint over the raised parts of the tag. This technique is called paint resist technique. When you let the paint dry and go over it with ink, the paint will come through in a distressed look!
Make sure your tag with the paint is dry before you start on the second technique.
The second technique is wrinkle free distress and I love it!  You just put some ink on your nonstick craft sheet and then spritz some water over the ink. You can slide your tag through the ink or press it down. I used Distress Picked Raspberry, Festive Berries, Vintage Photo and Tea Dye ink. Once you have done that, dry your tag with a heat tool and then you can go back and get the areas that you missed. Dry again with a heat tool.
I love this distressed look of ink and the paint!  You can go back with a blending tool and add more color and some water drops if you like!
Next I cut out some chipboard and an old book page for the cupid and the heart. This die is from Tim Holtz and I love it!
I applied Distress Black Soot Ink to go around the tag. Then added Tim Holtz Ideaology metal embellishments.
In the end, I added red and silver embossing powder from Ranger to the heart. I thought it needed  a little color and some chit chat words from Tim Hotlz.
I think that Distress Tea Dye is my new favorite color! It's fantastic and if you haven't used it, you need to!  The great thing about mixed media is you can add or take away as much as you want!  I used some hearts from my bead stash and just painted them the color I wanted.  So that is it and I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial!  Love and Peace!

3 comments: