Wednesday, February 8, 2017

And Fly Again Mixed Media Panel

Hello everyone, Deb here today to share a quick little tutorial with you on how I made my 'And Fly Again' mixed media panel for our current Love with the twist of adding Wings challenge.


I was lucky enough to be gifted with some of Tim Holtz's new Idea-ology releases when I attended the Association For Creative Industries (formerly the Craft and Hobby Association) Creativation 2017 trade show in Phoenix last month and was itching to use them so that became my jumping off point.


Tim's new Idea-ology is all being released this month so you won't have long to wait to get your hands on these beauties, never fear!

I started out with a piece of cardstock cut about 5" x 8" and coloured it with Distress stains and sprays in various shades of blue, adding spritz and flick with water and some script background stamping here and there.  I then used an individual alphabet stamp set from my stash, Ranger's Embossing pen in black and clear embossing powder to hand stamp the sentiment across the top of the panel.


I fussy cut one of Tim Holtz's Found Relatives and tinted her slightly with Distress markers.  Some butterfly wings from the new Botanical Layers pack were added to the figure and a heart stud from my stash was coloured with alcohol inks and placed in her hands.

Letters to spell the word 'love' were selected from the new Alpha Transparent Tiles.  The white was a little stark for my design so I coloured the tiles with a combination of Mushroom and Pitch Black alcohol inks and then used a cotton tipped swab dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the alcohol ink from the clear portion of the letters.


More white cardstock was coloured with multiple colours of red and pink Distress inks, stains and sprays and then hearts were die cut using the Tim Holtz Shape Strips and Simon Says Stamps Holiday Shapes dies.

I wanted to mount this panel into my art journal but it seemed to be needing a bit of a frame so I chose a piece of brown typography paper from Bo Bunny's Beautiful Dreamer paper collection and mounted it behind the Distress coloured panel.


And then I assembled all the bits and bobs, the Alpha Transparent Tiles were adhered along the bottom of the panel.


The lovely winged girl was mounted onto some black fun foam and positioned on top of the Transparent Tiles.


Some more butterflies from the Botanical Layers pack were scattered about and a few strips of Design Tape from the new Butterfly collection were adhered to the panel as well.


And last but not least, the die cut hearts were scattered here and there, completing my mixed media art journal panel.


Hope that you have enjoyed seeing how I put my project together and that I've given you a few ideas on how to use some of those wonderful new Idea-ology releases that are about to come your way!

I also hope that you will enter our February challenge, Love with the twist of adding Wings, I always love to see what you link up with us.  Sadly this will be my last post here as part of the Mixed Media Mojo design team but you can be sure I will be popping in regularly to see what you are creating!  I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Maria so very much for asking me to be on her team this last year, it's been so much fun and I've enjoyed each and every minute.  Hope that I will continue to see you all around Blogland and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo

4 comments:

  1. Deb this is outstanding! Thank you so much for all your fabulous projects and time with us at Mixed Media Mojo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this project Deb :)! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful Art piece. I love it so much.
    Dear Greetings
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete