Sunday, January 22, 2017

Do What You Love Mixed Media Tag

I'm so excited to be sharing my first DT tutorial with you!  I believe that challenges really help with your creativity, technique and inspiration!  As a newer crafter, I have met so many great people that craft around the world and I am so humbled to be part of the Design Team here at Mixed Media Mojo!  Thank you to all who have befriended me in this great group!

This challenge project for January was about the New and the twist was clocks!  I first started crafting on tags and that is my go to for projects. However, I do use art journals and other items to create! Here is the finished project with lots of texture and mediums used! Mucho fun!
"Time Flies When You Do What You Love"

This project used a lot of different techniques and textures!  So lets 
get started!
First I did the paint resist technique from Tim Holtz! Using a brayer to roll on Antique Linen Distress Paint onto a #12 tag. Then I used 4 colors of Distress Ink- Broken China, Tumbled Glass,Rusty Hing and Tea Dye.
Because the paint is permanent after it dries,it will not smear when you apply water or Distress ink. Look how the lettering comes through for a great background.  The next step was to take a Tim Holtz Embossing Folder Clocks and run it through my Vagabond 2 machine. I love the extra texture that you get from embossing folders.  Then I used Distress Ink Vintage Photo to highlight!
I wanted to use some Distress Crackle Rock Candy Clear Paint to provide some additional texture to the tag.
This needs to air dry and I just put it in front of a fan. While I was waiting on the paint to dry, I went ahead and stamped my fairy girl with Distress Black Soot Archival Ink. Then I embossed with black embossing powder and used the same colors on the tag to lightly brush her with color.
I used my miniature Tim Holtz Tonic Scissors to fussy cut my fairy girl out! I love these scissors! Then I die cut and embossed some wings from foam core board to give more texture.

I did use the rust paints from Prima and Tim Hotlz Distress paints on the big Roman clock. I  die cut the clock in gold foil paper and it seems to take the colors better.

I originally was going to use  the rust technique on the wings but felt that they did not stand out as well.
 I painted over them and used InkaGold gold wax and applied with some water and a brush.  I did this for the the little metal wings and the pocket watch which are from Tim Holtz Ideaology line. The small clock face is from the Tim Holtz mini blueprint stamps.
Then for the finishing touches, I used the black chit chat sayings and highlighted with a white marker. Some Distress Crayons in Black Soot to edge the tag and to fill in the cracks from the crackle paint. and that was it!
I hope that this tutorial was easy to follow! Please follow me at my blog-https://artsytartsyandsuch.blogspot.com/
Make some art!

1 comment: